Kygo and Ellie Goulding - First Time (Mithyx Remix) Kygo and Ellie Goulding - First Time (Mithyx Remix)

Here from R4R

First things first, I have to admit that I haven't heard the original, so I won't be able to compare your remix to that (to see how much you changed it or whatnot).

The vocals and vocal effects are awesome! The piano and drums are well mixed (for the most part. I wasn't the biggest fan of the fill at 1:02)

Ok, the snap could use a little reverb too, and it doesn't sit super well in the mix. That just takes some messing around with EQ. Also, the hats get a little irritating after a while, but that's more of a personal thing than a production thing, don't worry about it too much.

I do really like this track, it has a lot of personality and depth. Awesome work, keep it up!

megabyte12345 responds:

thank you for that detailed review!

yeah, i don't really like the fill either, i dragged it out a bit too long.
and i do wish that i put more reverb on the snap

but thanks! :)

TheFatRat ft. Laura Brehm - Monody (GTB Remix) [NG cut] TheFatRat ft. Laura Brehm - Monody (GTB Remix) [NG cut]

You got shafted in the R4R thread so here I am to give you an actual review.

Intro sounds really tight, good mixing right off the bat! The only tiny little thing I noticed was the crash cymbals on 2 and 4 were a little loud. Other than that, your mixing and EQ are consistently really good throughout the entire song, so very well done!

Delay and reverb on the vocals are good.

Melodically, there's not a ton going on. That's probably my main issue with this track: it's not very memorable.

It is also a little repetitive, but I get that that's the style, and it doesn't sound bad or anything, so that's just more of a personal note.

I filled this review with some more negative comments, but just to be clear, this is a super solid track! I enjoyed it :)

Synthesize Me Synthesize Me

Here from R4R

First things first, I super love the concept of this whole track! The synths are awesome, the melodies work well (which frankly is rare on Newgrounds), and it flows well in general. You have good structure here, and I have no complaints about anything musically, so well done. Your sound in general is super solid.

The only thing I would fix is your mixing and some EQ. The percussion is good, but the growls and cymbals, and sometimes some of the bass take up too much of the high-mids in the drop. Try cutting that stuff out so the lead (which I am in love with) can cut through the mix better. When you have this much going on, it's important to isolate sounds to specific frequencies so they aren't drowning important stuff out.

Great job with this!

Like An Animal Like An Animal

Everyone pointing out that the lyrics match other songs by San Holo and Teminite, he's just using a sample pack (from Splice I think???) that's available to use for anyone. He's not being unoriginal at all.

DJVI responds:

Yes the lyrics are from Splice!

Abandoned Abandoned

I'm actually here from R4R hehe

This is actually super impressive that this just flowed from your brain through your fingers into this music. I know you said it was edited, but this all came from your brain. Good stuff right here, I totally should listen to this while driving at night or something to calm my nerves. This is a super beautiful piece, and every time I hear something like this, I feel worse and worse about quitting piano (not that my teacher was actually teaching me anything anyway). It's stunning how you created this and I'm super impressed by the musicality and emotion that flows from this piece. It captures all the nostalgic and sad parts of childhood, and I couldn't be more at ease while listening to it. I only wish it were longer. Awesome work

1f1n1ty responds:

Doesn't everything everyone make come from their brains? :/

Thanks for the review! Piano is truly the most beautiful instrument in the world and you should totally pick it back up sometimes :) Lessons can only teach you so much about how beautiful the piano really is; for me it just comes down to sitting in front of a keyboard and figuring it out yourself.

Karaplex - Dark Neon (Synthwave) Karaplex - Dark Neon (Synthwave)

Those toms are orgasmic

Seriously nice track fam, I love the part at 1:45. For your first go at Synthwave, I'd say you killed it. Really great job here, this is legit

UltraMX - Fear acid UltraMX - Fear acid

You've done a very nice job creating a song that is very much acid house. The leads are interesting, and the sound fits the genre very well. All is well and good until about 0:25 when the bass comes in. Consider adding an equalizer to the bass to get rid of some of the higher frequencies in the bass sound so it doesn't clash with the leads. There are plenty of good youtube tutorials on this, just google "subtractive eq tutorials". What else... The drums are cool, so you've got that going for you! Try adding more of a set in stone chord progression into your music so that melodies can flow from that and it won't sound like a cacophony of noise with no real direction.

Improve your sound a little bit, keep writing music, and I'll check up to see if I want to scout you!

UltraMX responds:

the "bass sound" is actually the drums XD

Just in Time Just in Time

Pros:
It's a chill song and wouldn't feel out of place on a beach or something like that
The drums are pretty fantastic (besides maybe the crash, I'll get to that in a bit)
Mastering for sure was pretty good, and it isn't over compressed which is a common issue
It's not too repetitive, it stays interesting for the most part

Cons:
The crash symbol 1:05 seemed really out of place and out of time
For an experimental song, I might have wanted to be a little more on my toes about what I'm hearing.There isn't too much of a wow factor. This isn't a very big issue, it's more of a personal thing.
The guitar wasn't always quantized right, and it sounded a little imprecise at times because it wouldn't play at the same time as the drums, which stayed consistent.

Overall, not bad. It's not a song I would just want to turn on and listen to, but I certainly don't mind hearing it. It's really relaxing, it's just that there are a few issues with it that need to be addressed. Keep up the good work!

Migashi responds:

Thank you!

I agree with the crash symbol at 1:05... though that's actually there as a que in for an accompanying video. I really should fix it though.

The reason why the guitar was off from the drums at times is actually because I added the drums as an afterthought. When I originally recorded the guitar samples, i was planning on a percussive guitar track. I didn't like how that turned out, but was so pleased with the samples I had already recorded that I created the drum track and then tried to sync the existing guitar samples to it. That, and in one of the longer "lull" moments towards the middle of the song, there was going to be a violin track; but my violinist never came through to record so I kept the lull moment in for length, and I kind of spaced out during it while I was tripping so I decided I loved it lol.

I'm really pleased with how the drums came out. I actually used Ableton's "Vintage Bright" samples for their very natural sounding acoustic decay, and imported them into Fruity Loops to sequence. For the snare, I alternated between a hard hit and a soft hit in order to emulate a left and right stick. This definitely helped make it sound more natural or recorded and not sequenced. A little reverb polished the effect. There are a few parts where I actually doubled the drum track and added a beat repeat on the the double for a more disorganized (though still in-time) and electronic sound. For the hi-hat, I did the same thing, and alternated between a closed foot, and a soft closed stick hit.

I placed it under experimental largely because of it's unconventional timing. The beat for the song actually falls on the first and third counts; similar to DnB or early Dubstep. To me, it sounds like post-rock... but would be closer to jazz as far as it's timing. That's how I felt anyhow.

I'm glad you enjoyed it, and thank you for reviewing!

BTW... I love how you mentioned it sounds like it belongs at a beach; I live in Myrtle Beach XD

One more thing to note: I'm not a fan of mixing with compression. Compression is a great tool when you're backed into a corner, but if you can avoid it; you should. Mixing/Mastering, at least in my style, is 90% volume, 10% Everything else.

The Beautiful Power The Beautiful Power

Here from R4R thread:

As always, your melodies here are outstanding. They're super engaging and fun. This would be great as a boss fight theme. I only have 2 issues with it: the first is the overall lack of clarity, but this isn't huge because, well, the C64 doesn't have the clearest audio anyway. The second is that some of the synths don't feel like they really belong together, particularly the transition just before 1:00. I don't know if this is just me being picky, but it kind of threw me off a bit. Nitpickiness aside, this is a great track with great melodies, and I thoroughly enjoyed it!

littlelamp100 responds:

thank you for the feedback! really glad you enjoyed it :D

Mega Man Y+1: Phoenix Man Mega Man Y+1: Phoenix Man

Wow! This really sounds like it belongs in a Mega Man game for sure. It truly mimics that classic retro feel more than the vast majority of songs I find here on NG. The synths work really well together, the compression is nice, the mastering is great, the energy is high, what's not to love? The melodies are all so engaging and I really enjoyed it!

Oh, also those tom fills were savage.

Keep it up!! This is a great track, so please don't stop making them!

littlelamp100 responds:

thank you! it was made in a program that emulates the NES hardware, similar to what paragonx9 did with chaoz fantasy 8 bit. that's why it sounds so authentic. i really wish more people on NG used famitracker